Prof. (Dr.) Sanjeev P. Sahni
Principal Director, JIBS; Professor, JGLS
Member of JGU Governing Body
Advisor to the Vice Chancellor
M.A. (Psy.), Ph.D., D.Sc. (h.c.), FSMA, FSPA
Dr. Sanjeev P. Sahni is the Advisor to the Vice Chancellor of O.P. Jindal Global University (JGU) and the Member of the Governing Body of the university. As a founding member of the management team, he was instrumental in establishing the university in the year 2009 along with the Vice Chancellor. Dr. Sahni fosters collaboration across the university and manages changes in policies and practices that affect the academic and administrative life of the university as a whole.
Dr. Sahni is the Principal Director of the Jindal Institute of Behavioural Sciences (JIBS). He also serves as a Professor in the university and as the Director of Centre for Victimology and Psychological Studies, Centre for Leadership and Change and Centre for Community Mental Health.
Dr. Sahni is a distinguished scholar in the field of Psychology and his research interests span in the areas of Criminal Psychology, Cognitive and Neuropsychology, Competency Mapping, Organizational Development, and Leadership. He holds a Ph.D. degree in Organizational Behaviour. He possesses an extensive and rich experience of 32 years in Academia, Industry and Governmental Sector. His industrial expertise and extensive research allow for a more pragmatic approach in teaching, thus narrowing the industry-academia gap.
Dr. Sahni has worked as a Research Scientist at several universities like University of Houston, Texas, USA, University of Illinois, Chicago, USA to name a few. He has served for 14 years as a Scientist in the Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD) and Sports Authority of India (SAI) where he spearheaded biofeedback training and other psychodynamic assessments to nurture and enhance the performance of sportspersons in India. He has to his credit mentoring of many ace sportspersons and infusing them with positivity and self-belief, which could take them to achieve the highest echelons in their disciplines.
Dr. Sahni joined the Jindal Group in 2006 and served in various capacities such as the Head of Strategic HR and the Head of Corporate HR. He was responsible for revamping the HR practices across business verticals and inculcating a performance driven culture in the organization. During his tenure, Jindal Steel & Power Ltd. was ranked among the ‘Top 20 Best Companies to Work for in India’ rankings by Business Today and Mercer. He also served as the Head, Education of the corporation where he established and managed the educational initiatives of the group including Jindal Institute of Technology (which has now become O.P. Jindal University, Chhattisgarh), Jindal Institute of Power Technology, four Community Colleges of Technology and Skills, three Industrial Training Institutes, Medical College and ten senior secondary / secondary schools. Furthermore, Dr. Sahni has worked as the Co-Project Director of the Montgomery College India initiative, “Transforming Boundaries”, funded by the US State Department and USIEF.
As a Professor at JGU, Dr. Sahni has been teaching courses such as Competency Mapping, Organizational Behaviour, Organizational Development, Business Communication and Etiquette, Leadership, Compensation & Benefits and Management Consulting Fundamentals to the students across all the eight schools. He has taught in various universities overseas as a Visiting Faculty member, namely, China University of Political Science and Law, Beijing, and Nanjing University, Nanjing in China amongst others. Dr. Sahni is also a certified Edward de Bono Six Thinking Hats Trainer. He has trained over 32000 school principals and teachers, senior Government officials, industry professionals, besides many more in over 50 countries on topics such as competency mapping, business communication, decision making at workplace, stress management, performance enhancement, emotional intelligence, best teaching practices, inspiring leadership etc.
He has published more than 35 research articles in International and National indexed Journals, and about 20 book chapters. With 14 Books to his credit, some of the recent ones are; The Death Penalty (Springer Nature) Internet Infidelity: An Interdisciplinary Insight in a Global Context (Springer Nature), Piracy in the Digital Era (Springer Nature), Maximizing Human Potential Through Behavioural Competencies: 100 Core Competencies (Bloomsbury), Strategic Compensation Management & Design (Bloomsbury), and Conflict: The Police and The People (Lexis Nexis).
Dr. Sahni is one of the few Indian psychologists to have dispensed his immense knowledge towards the development of society and nation with his remarkable vision. Through his astute leadership, Dr. Sahni has been able to touch the lives of so many people in education sector across the country and even abroad. He has certainly facilitated in changing the mindset of educators and in the same breath the mindset of the students. He has several awards to his credit, and has recently been nominated as a Member of the Board of Directors of the International Society of Criminology. He is the recipient of some very prestigious fellowships such as the ones by Indian Association of Sports Medicine, Sports Psychology Association of India and Indian Council of Medical Research. Dr. Sahni was conferred the Director Generalship of International Forum on Crimes and Criminal Law in the Global Era in Beijing, China in 2015 and awarded the Medal of Honor by the Serbian Academy of Sciences and Arts, the most prominent academic institution in Serbia. He has also served as Secretary to the Indian Association of Sports Medicine and the Sports Psychology Association of India.
- Bantha, T., Sahni, S. P. (2020). An Empirical Investigation. Journal of Xidian University, Vol. 14, Issue 3, 260 – 264.
- Bantha, T., Sahni, S. P. & Yadava, M. (2020). Identification of Enablers for Reducing Students Incivility in Classrooms – An Exploratory Investigation. International Journal of Higher Education, 9 (2), 193 – 199. doi:10.5430/ijhe.v9n2p193.
- Sharma, M., Sahni, S.P., Sharma, S. (2019). Validating a destructive measurement system using Gauge R&R — A case study, Engineering Management in Production and Services. 11(4), 34-42, doi: https://doi.org/10.2478/emj-2019-0031.
- Sharma, S., Sahni, S.P., Chahal, A. (Accepted-2019). Ethical Fiber and Psychological Contract of Social Entrepreneurs (review paper), Journal for International Business and Entrepreneurship Development. In press.
- Sharma, M., Sahni, S. P., & Sharma, S. (2019). Reduction of defects in the lapping process of the semi-conductor manufacturing industry: The Six-Sigma application, Engineering Management in Production and Services, 11 (2), 87-105. doi: https://doi.org/10.2478/emj-2019-0013.
- Sharma, S., Aggarwal, S., & Sahni, S. P. (2019) Identifying five psychological constructs underpinning the success of social entrepreneurs. International Journal of Entrepreneurship and Innovation Management.
- Sahni, S. P., Sharma, S., & Aggarwal, S. (2018) A Critical Review and Future Directions for Research: Personality and Social Entrepreneurial Success. International Journal of Psychology and Psychoanalysis, 4:036. doi.org/10.23937/2572-4037.1510036
- Sahni, S. P., Jain, G., & Gupta, I. (2017). Understanding digital piracy through the lens of psychosocial, criminological and cultural factors. International Journal of Technology Policy and Law, 3(1), 28-42. 11
- Sahni, S. P. & Jain, G. (2018). Euthanasia: A Review on Worldwide Legal Status and Public Opinion. Criminology and Criminal Law Review, 1 (1), 63 – 76.
- Kumar, V., Srivastava, D. K., Sahni, S. P., & Jain, G. (2016) Psychological Responses to Influenza A, H1N1(‘Swine Flu’) in India. Journal of Psychosocial Research. 11, No. 1. (Page No. 7)
- Sahni, S. P., & Kumar, V. (2012). Can We Blame the Climate of an Organization for the Stress Experienced by Employees, Jindal Journal of Business Research, 1 (2), 181 – 192.
- Sahni, S. P. (2012). Role of HR in 21st Century”, Tapasya, 2, 31 –34.
- Sahni, S. P. (2011). Mental Preparation – Sine Qua Non For Sporting Excellence, Tapasya,
17–21. Sahni, S. P., & Singh V. (2002). Stress Management, Journal of Education, University of Delhi, Delhi Singh, V., & Sahni, S. P. (2002). Breathe Control for Better Living, Journal of Education, University of Delhi, New Delhi.
- Singh, V., & Sahni, S. P. (2001). Effect of Respiration Biofeedback on Psycho¬ Physiological Variables of Boxers. Proceedings of X World Congress of Sports Psychology, Greece. (4), 181-182.
- Sahni, S. P., & Singh V. (2001). Effect of Cerebral Electrotherapy on Acute and Chronic Competition related Anxiety Among Elite Athletes. Proceedings of X World Congress of Sports Psychology, Greece. (5), 141-143.
- Singh, V., & Sahni, S. P. (2000) An Effect of Progressive Muscle Relaxation Training on Heart Rate and Electrodermal response Variables of Boxers. Journal of Sports Traumatology and Allied Sports Sciences. (2).26-30.
- Sahni, S. P., Raj Pal, & Singh,V. (1999). Significance of Physical & Mental Fitness in Golf. Journal of Sports Traumatology & Allied Sports Sciences, Vol 1, 98-103.
- Sahni, S. P., & Singh, V. (1999). Effectiveness of Biofeedback Training on performance Enhancement. Journal of Sports Traumatology and Allied Sports Science, Vol1,104-110. 12
- Sahni, S. P., Singh, V., & Raj Pal (1999). A study of Effects of Physical & Mental Fitness Training on the Psycho- Physiological Variables of Sportsperson. Journal of Sports Traumatology and Allied Sports Sciences, Vol 1,111-115.
- Sahni, S. P. (1994). The Physiological and Psychological aspects of Alcohol. Indian Journal of Health and Physical Education, 2 (4)7-8.
- Sahni, S. P. (1993). Heroin Addiction and Criminality. Journal of Personality and Clinical Studies, 8 (1 & 2), 35-38.
- Sahni, S. P. (1992) A New Method for Drug Testing (Radioimmunoassay of Hair) Combat International, 1 (2), 4.
- Mohan, J., & Sahni, S. P. (1991). Drug free education programme for sports supervisors. Psychology of Sports: The Indian Perspective, 389.
- Sahni, S. P., & Bhargava, R. (1990) Extent of Brain Damage in Drug Addicts. Disabilities and Impairment, 3 (2), 108-114.
- Bhargava, R., & Sahni, S. P. (1989). Perceptual Organization of Criminals. Journal of Personality and Clinical Studies, 5 (1) 57-60.
- Sahni, S. P., Sood, A. & Mohan, J. (1988). A comparative Study of Personality between Sportsmen and Non- Sportsmen of University Level. NIS Scientific Journal, 11 (2) 1-9.
- Sahni, S. P. & Junnarkar, M. (2020) The Death Penalty: Perspectives from India & Beyond. Springer Nature, Singapore. (ISBN 978-981-15-3128-6)
- Sahni, S. P., Srivastava, J., Thakur, A., Lakhani, S. & Jain. G. (2020). Let’s Talk about Depression: A Focus on Australia, India and USA. Bloomsbury Publication, India.
- Sahni, S. P. & Sehgal, J. D. (2020). Strategic Compensation Management & Design, Bloomsbury, India.
- Sahni, S. P. & Jain, G. (2020). Conflict: The Police and The People. Lexis Nexis, New Delhi, India. ISBN 978-93-8854-881-6
- Sahni, S. P. & Bhadra P. (2020). Crime and Criminal Law: Perspectives on Global Migration. Har Anand Publications, India. ISBN 978-93-88409-47-6
- Sahni, S. P. & Bhadra P. (2020). Refuge Jurisprudence and Criminal Justice. Har Anand Publications, India. ISBN 978-93-88409-51-3
- Sahni, S. P. & Junnarkar, M. (2019) Maximizing Human Potential Through Behavioral Competencies: 100 Core Competencies. Bloomsbury Publication, India. ISBN 978-93-89000-65-8
- Sahni, S.P. & Gupta I. (2019). Piracy in the Digital Era, Singapore: Springer Nature. ISBN 978-981-13-7172-1 (Scopus Indexed)
- Sahni, S.P. & Jain, G. (Eds) (2018). Internet Infidelity: An Interdisciplinary Insight in a Global Context. Springer Nature, Singapore. ISBN 978-981-10-5412-9 (Scopus Indexed)
- Kirchhoff, G; Palit, M & Sahni, S.P. (2017) Global Victimology New Voices: Theory- Facts-Legislation Lexis Nexis India, ISBN:9789350359518
- Sahni, S.P.; Dhanda, A & Palit, M (2016) Victim Assistance in India: Suggesting Legislative Reform. ANE Books Pvt. Ltd., ISBN:9789385462436
- Sahni, S.P. (2002) Handbook of Sports Psychology- A Comprehensive Manual of Mental Training, New Delhi: DVS Publication
- Chandran, P.S.M.; Sahni, S.P. and Beotra, A (2002). Handbook of Sports Medicine, New Delhi: Indian Association of Sports Medicine
- Sahni S. P. & Nair V. V. (2020). The Need for Financial Criminology in India Over Changing Global Financial Scenario. In Shekhar B. & Sahni S. P. (Eds.) A Global Perspective In Victimology & Criminology: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow. Bloomsbury Publications. (In Press).
- Junnarkar, M., Sahni, S.P. & Gill, S. (2020). Resilience and Well-Being in Sports. In Pradhan, R. K & Kumar, U. International Handbook of Advances in Emotion, Wellbeing and Resilience: Theoretical Perspectives and Practical Applications, Apple Academic Press, Taylor and Francis Group (Accepted).
- Nair, V.V., Bhadra P. & Sahni, S. P.(2019). Status of Refugees, Migrants and Criminal Law in India. In Sahni, S. P. & Bhadra p. (2019) (Eds). Crime and Criminal Law: Perspectives on Global Migration, Har Anand Publications, India. ISBN 978-93-88409-47-6
- Bhadra P. & Sahni, S. P.(2019). Challenges to Asylum Seekers in the Criminal Justice System: Case Study from India. In Sahni, S. P. & Bhadra p. (2019) (Eds). Refugee Jurisprudence and Criminal Justice, Har Anand Publications, India. ISBN 978-93-88409-51-3
- Sahni, S. P., & Junnarkar, M. (2019). Well-being of Domestic Workers. In U. Mahanta and I. Gupta (eds.), Recognition of the Rights of Domestic Workers in India, https://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-13-5764-0_9, Springer Nature, Singapore
- Sahni, S. P. (2019). Sexual Identity Expression on the Internet: An Empirical Study of Homosexuals, Heterosexuals, and Bisexuals in India. Internet Infidelity: An Interdisciplinary Insight in a Global Context (pp. 105-131). Springer, Singapore
- Sahni, S. P. (2019). Measures in the Background of Piracy in Entertainment and Software Industry in India. Cybercrime, Organized Crime, and Societal Responses (pp. 233-247). Springer International Publishing
- Jain, G., Sahni, S. P., & Sehgal, N. (2018). Sexual Identity Expression on the Internet: An Empirical Study of Homosexuals, Heterosexuals, and Bisexuals in India. In Internet Infidelity: An Interdisciplinary Insight in a Global Context (pp. 105-131). Springer, Singapore.
- Jain, G., & Sahni, S. P. (2017). Understanding Attribution Bias and Reasons Behind Internet Infidelity in India. In Cybercrime, Organized Crime, and Societal Responses (pp. 47-65). Springer International Publishing.
- Sahni, S. P., Jain, G., & Gupta, I. (2017). Measures in the background of piracy in entertainment and software industry in India. In Cybercrime, Organized Crime, and Societal Responses (pp. 233-247). Springer, Cham.
- Sahni, S. P. (2001). Sports Psychology. In Handbook of Sports Medicine New Delhi. Indian Association of Sports Medicine.
- Sahni, S. P. (2001). Performance Enhancement through relaxation. Indian Association of Sports Medicine.
- Sahni, S. P. (1991). Heroin Epidemic in Northern India. In Section of Epidemiology and Science Drug Abuse, Calcutta; Indian Chamber of Commerce.
- Mohan J and Sahni, S. P. (1991). Drug education Program for Sports Supervisors. In Psychology of Sports – the Indian Perspective, New Delhi: Friends Publication (India), pp. 389- 396.
Modules for the project on E- Pathshala project (Ministry of Human Resource Development, Government of India)
- Sahni, S. P., Jain, G., & Kirchhoff, G. (2016). Role of NGOs in Victim Assistance. E-Pathshala Project. Ministry of Human Resource and Development. Government of India. (Module submitted).
- Jain, G., Sahni, S. P., & Kirchhoff, G. (2016). Crisis Intervention Center. Victimology and Victim Assistance. E-Pathshala project. Ministry of Human Resource and Development. Government of India. (Module submitted)
- Sahni, S. P., & Jain, G. (Eds) (2013). Mental Health Case Programme for School Children: Beyond Learning Disability, CVPS, JGU
- Sahni, S. P., & Rajagopal, M. (Eds) (2013). Mental Health Act, CVPS, JGU
- Sahni, S. P., & Hetu, V. (Eds) (2012). Status of Victim Assistance in India, CVPS, JGU