Dr. Deepa Madathil
Associate Professor (JIBS) and Associate Dean, Admissions & Outreach, JGU
B.Tech. (Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University, Hyderabad); M.S. (Arizona State University, USA); Ph.D. (Vellore Institute of Technology)
Bioinformatics, Data Analytics, Biomedical Signal and Image Processing, Healthcare Management, AI and Machine Learning, Hospital Information Systems and Biomedical Instrumentation.
Dr. Deepa Madathil is currently working as an Associate Professor, Jindal Institute of Behavioural Sciences (JIBS) & Associate Dean, Admissions and Outreach at O. P. Jindal Global University. She is a multi-faceted personality with a penchant to work with disruptive technologies. Her professional experience ranges from administration, academics, teaching, training, research to freelance consulting. Prior to joining JIBS, Dr. Deepa was an Associate Professor in School of Electronics Engineering at VIT University, Vellore. She also served as the Assistant Director, Student Outreach (2019-2021) heading the digital marketing initiative and as an Assistant Director, Students Welfare (2011-2018). She is also a Wipro Mission 10X High Impact Teaching Skills certified teacher making a difference through her classes. She was awarded a project titled, “Affordable and portable multimodality system to measure heart rate, blood oxygenation and ECG using Machine Learning”, by the Spark-up Idea Fund Program, International Centre for Entrepreneurship & Technology (icreate) in 2015. She has also mentored several innovative students’ projects at Bachelors, Masters and Doctoral level and has published in journals of repute.
Dr. Deepa is a Gold Medallist in B.Tech. Biomedical Engineering from JNTU, Hyderabad. She did her Masters in Biomedical Informatics from Arizona State University, USA and Ph.D. in Bioinformatics from VIT University, Vellore. While getting her Masters, she was also working at St. Joseph’s Hospital and Medical Center at Phoenix as a Systems Analyst. Her focus was on developing web applications pertaining to FDA monitored clinical research projects conducted by Barrow Neurological Institute, Phoenix. Deepa was also selected and represented the computer science graduates in ASU at the Women in Tech: 2008 Google Workshop for Women Engineers at Google’s headquarters in Mountain View, California. She then worked as a Data Analyst and a Biostatistician at Banner Health Hospital and Medical Center, Phoenix, where she developed an electronic decision support system for diagnoses and effective treatment of patients. She has also worked on large panel datasets to understand the aging brain and age-specific physiological and psychological changes. Her consultancy projects include the application of statistical analysis and predictive data modelling in various domains.
- Kulkarni, P. and Madathil, D. (2021). Echocardiography image segmentation using semi-automatic numerical optimisation method based on wavelet decomposition thresholding. International Journal of Imaging Systems and Technology, 31(4). https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1002/ima.22631
- Patil A.U., Madathil, D. and Huang, C. M. (2021). Age-related and individual variations in altered prefrontal and cerebellar connectivity associated with the tendency of developing internet addiction, Human Brain Mapping, https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/hbm.25562
- Patil A.U., Madathil, D. and Huang, C. M. (2021). Healthy aging alters the functional connectivity of creative cognition in the default mode network and cerebellar network, Frontiers in Aging Neuroscience,
- Patil, A.U., Ghate, S., Madathil, D., Tzeng, O.J.L., Huang, H.W. and Huang, C.M. (2021). Static and dynamic functional connectivity supports the configuration of brain networks associated with creative cognition, Scientific Reports, 11(1), 165. https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-020-80293-2
- Ramesan, R. and Madathil, D. (2020). Modeling of radiation source using an equivalent dipole moment model, Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, 89, 157-175,
- Kulkarni, P. and Madathil, D. (2019). Adaptive thresholding method for speckle reduction of Echocardiographic images, IETE Journal of Research. https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/03772063.2019.1634494
- Ajay, H., Zakir, A. , Patil, A. and Madathil, D. (2019). Power generation using diaphragm movement for pacemaker, ARPN Journal of Engineering and Applied Sciences, 14(3).
- Priyanka, G., Pranitha, N., Madathil, D., and Vidhya, S. (2018). A non-invasive tongue controlled wireless assistive device for quadriplegics, Biomedical Research , 29(8)
- Kulkarni, M.P. and Madathil, D. (2018). A review of echocardiographic image segmentation techniques for left ventricular study, ARPN Journal of Engineering and Applied Sciences, 13(10)
- RamTeja, J.A., Rayaprolu, R., and Madathil D. (2018). Segmentation using convolutional neural networks of brain tumors in MRI images, International Research Journal in Advanced Engineering and Technology, 4 (6)
- Kulkarni, P. and Madathil, D. (2018). A review on echocardiographic image speckle reduction filters, Biomedical Research, 29(12)
- Pandey, S., Shilumbu, J., Patil, A. and Madathil, D. (2018). Automatic resistance of a rehabilitation bicycle using EMG signals. ARPN Journal of Engineering and Applied Sciences, 13(23)
- Fatima, S.S. and Madathil, D. (2018). Detection and imaging of ground targets based on new approaches in radar imaging implementation in SOC technology, International Journal of Engineering and Technology (UAE), 7(4)
- Muthukumar, A., Madathil, D., and Antonisamy. (2017). Urinary toxicity in high risk prostate cancer patients treated with whole pelvis intensity modulated radiotherapy (Wp-Imrt) with cone beam Ct (Cbct) for image guidance. Journal of Cancer Research & Therapeutics, 13
- Ghatak, B., Gaur, A., Chourey, S., Ray, S.S., Sangeetha, D., Madathil, D., Brijesh Nair, A. N. and Sivakumar, A., (2017). A study on the heavy metal accumulation in water, soil and vegetable samples in industrial belt of Vellore district, Pollution Research, 36(3)
- Rajam, C., Rahul, P., Pranay, P., and Madathil D., (2016). Phytochemical screening, antibacterial activity and in silico analysis of bioactive compounds of Mimosa pudica and Datura stramonium, International Journal of Pharma and Bio Sciences, Special Issue on Healthcare Technology and Management
- Ghatak, B. and Madathil, D. (2016). Approaches to reduce the menace of heavy metal accumulation in soil and water: A Review, International Journal of Pharma and Bio Sciences, 7(3).
- Madathil, D. and Rajendran N. (2015). Assessment of antibiofilm activity of extracts from selected biological sources, Journal of Pure and Applied Microbiology, 9(1).
- Madathil, D. and Rajendran N., (2015). Characterization of antibacterial compounds from plants by FTIR and GC-MS analyses, Journal of Pure and Applied Microbiology, Special Edition
- Madathil, D., Rajam, C., and Rajendran N. (2015). In silico analysis of Mytilus galloprovincialis proximal thread matrix protein with synthetic and phyto inhibitors, International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences Review and Research, 32(1)
- Judith, J.V., Revathy, R., Habeeba, V., Poddar, M., Brijesh Nair, A.N., Shanthakumar, S., Madathil, D., Bhagat, P.R., and Ramanan, A. (2014). Mapping drinking water quality in water distribution system to health effects: A case study, Pollution Research, 33(4)
- Shiju, T.M., Madathil, D., and Pragasam, V. (2013). An alarming prevalence of diabetes and its associated risk factors among college going Indian adults: A retrospective study, International Journal of Medical Science and Public Health. 2(3)
- Prachi, Gautam. P., D., and Brijesh Nair A.N. (2013). Nanotechnology in waste water treatment: A review, International Journal of ChemTech Research, 5(5)
- Madathil, D., and Rajendran N. (2013). Prevention and inhibition of environmental biofilms: Future perspectives, International Journal of Pharma and Bio Sciences, 4(3)
- Sunil Eapen Mammen and Madathil, D., (2013). A systems approach to designing a graphical interface in eHealth, International Journal of Computing Academic Research, 2(3)
- Gautam, P., Suniti, S., Prachi, Kumari, A., Madathil, D., and Brijesh Nair, A.N. (2012). A review on recent advances in biosensors for detection of water contamination, Agris On-line Papers in Economics and Informatics, 2(3).
- Patil, A.U., Madathil, D., Tzeng, O.J.L., Huang, H.W. and Huang, C.M. Effects of posterior-anterior shift in the aging brain on creativity: A combined ICA and resting-state fMRI study, 27th Annual meeting of Cognitive Neuroscience Society, CNS, 124, 2020.
- Patil, A.U., Madathil, D., Tzeng, O.J.L., Huang, H.W. and Huang, C.M. Dynamic interaction of functional brain connectivity in convergent and divergent thinking. Taiwan Society of Cognitive Neuroscience Annual Meeting, 2019.
- Patil, A.U., Madathil, D., Tseng, D.J., Hung, D.L., Tzeng, O.J.L., Huang, H.W. Brain functional connectivity of creativity: Psychophysiological interaction of convergent and divergent thinking, 26th Annual meeting of Cognitive Neuroscience Society, CNS, 138, 2019.
- Srinivasan, S. and Madathil, D. 3-dimensional computational study of blood flow in pathophysiologically affected arteries simulated in OpenFOAM, IEEE 8th Cairo International Biomedical Engineering Conference, CIBEC, 35-38, 2017.
- Mishra, A., Krishna, A. and Madathil, D. An innovative and cost effective lower extremity blood circulation enhancer, IEEE International Conference on Signal and Image Processing Applications, ICSIPA, 191-194, 2017. https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/8120604
- Madathil, D. and Rajam C. In silico analysis of bioactive compounds extracted from seaweed Amphiroa anceps on the pathogenicity of bacteria, DBT National Conference on New Trends in Biomedical and Pharmaceuticals Application of Marine Natural Products -NCMNP, Centre for Ocean Research, 2016. (Best Presentation Award)
- Apoorva, S., Krishnan, J. and Madathil, D. A novel approach on pneumatic compression therapy for deep vein thrombosis, IEEE International Conference on Embedded Systems, ICES, 281-286, 2014. https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/6953175
- Gaur, A., Chourey, S., Madathil, D. and Brijesh Nair, A.N. Performance evaluation of Kolar drinking water treatment plant of Bhopal city, International Conference of Euro Asia Civil Engineering Forum, EACEF, 7-12, 2013.
- Adithan, M., Johnson. S.K., Brijesh Nair and Madathil D., Using multiple intelligence theory as an innovative tool to enhance learning in higher education, 33rd Annual ISPA International Conference, 2011.
- Singh, S., Gautam, P., Prachi, Kumari, A., and Madathil, D. Recent advances in biosensors for detection of water contamination: A review”, International Conference on Sustainable Water Resource Management and Treatment Technologies, NEERI, 2011.
- Madathil, D., Vimla Patel and Shahram Partovi. Cognitive evaluation of health care technology – Is the risk worth taking? TGen Scientific Retreat, 2008.
- Madathil, D., and Priya, R. Online measuring system to support heart valve surgery, National Conference on Biomedical Engineering, Bio Medical Engineering Society of India, BMESI, GITAMS, 2004.
- Madathil, D., and Kottidi, D. Design and analysis of filters for medical imaging, BIT FUTURA-2K2, 2002. (Best Paper Award)
- Patil, A.U., Dube, A., Jain, R. K., Jindal, G.D., and Madathil, D. (2019). Classification and comparative analysis of control and migraine subjects using EEG signals, Advances in Intelligent Systems and Computing, 31-39, Springer. https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007%2F978-981-13-3329-3_4
- Sudhakaran, S.L., Arumugam, M., Madathil, D. and Sundararajan, V. (2019) Drug development for Hepatitis C Virus infection: Machine Learning Applications, Global Virology III: Virology in the 21st Century, 117-129, Springer. https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007%2F978-3-030-29022-1_6
- Nageswaran, S., S. Vidhya, and Madathil, D. (2018). Segmentation and clinical outcome prediction in Brain Lesions, Machine Learning and IoT: A Biological Perspective, 181- 191, Taylor & Francis. https://www.taylorfrancis.com/chapters/10.1201/9781351029940-11/