Data Analytics, AI and Machine Learning, Bioinformatics, Biomedical Signal, and Image Processing, Healthcare Management, Hospital Information Systems, and Biomedical Instrumentation.
Dr. Deepa Madathil
Associate Professor & Associate Dean (Doctoral Studies)
B. Tech. Biomedical Engineering (JNTU, Hyderabad);
M.S. Biomedical Informatics (Arizona State University, USA);
Ph.D. Bioinformatics (VIT University, Vellore)
Dr. Deepa Madathil is currently working as an Associate Professor at the Jindal Institute of Behavioural Sciences (JIBS) & Associate Dean at the Office of Doctoral Studies at O. P. Jindal Global University. She is a multi-faceted personality with a penchant to work with disruptive technologies. Her professional experience ranges from administration, academics, teaching, training, and research to freelance consulting. Prior to joining JIBS, Dr. Deepa was an Associate Professor in the School of Electronics Engineering and the Assistant Director, Student Outreach, heading the digital marketing initiative at VIT. She has also served as the Assistant Director of Students Welfare at VIT.
Dr. Deepa is a Gold Medallist in B.Tech. Biomedical Engineering from JNTU, Hyderabad. While getting her Masters at Arizona State University, she was also working at St. Joseph’s Hospital and Medical Center in Phoenix as a Systems Analyst. Her focus was on developing web applications pertaining to FDA-monitored clinical research projects conducted by the Barrow Neurological Institute, Phoenix. Deepa also represented the computer science graduates in ASU at the Women in Tech: 2008 Google Workshop for Women Engineers at Google’s headquarters in Mountain View, California. She then worked as a Data Analyst and a Biostatistician at Banner Health Hospital and Medical Center, Phoenix, where she developed an electronic decision support system for diagnoses and effective treatment of patients. She has also worked on large panel datasets to understand the aging brain and age-specific physiological and psychological changes.
Two research scholars have been awarded Ph.D. under Dr. Deepa’s supervision. She was awarded a project titled, “Affordable and portable multimodality system to measure heart rate, blood oxygenation and ECG using Machine Learning”, by the Spark-up Idea Fund Program, International Centre for Entrepreneurship & Technology (icreate) in 2015. She has also mentored several innovative students’ projects at Bachelors, Masters, and Doctoral levels, and has published in journals of repute. Her consultancy projects include the application of statistical analysis and predictive data modelling in various domains.
Dr. Deepa is a Wipro Mission 10X High Impact Teaching Skills certified teacher making a significant difference through her classes. At JGU, her key teaching courses include – Neuromarketing for Digital Media, Introduction to Statistical Techniques and Application, and Quantitative Research Methods for Doctoral students across campus.
Lakshminarayanan K, Shah R, Yao Y, Madathil D. The Effects of Subthreshold Vibratory Noise on Cortical Activity During Motor Imagery. Motor Control. 2023, 1:1-14. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/36801814/
Lakshminarayanan K, Ramu V, Rajendran J, Chandrasekaran KP, Shah R, Daulat SR, Moodley V, Madathil D. The Effect of Tactile Imagery Training on Reaction Time in Healthy Participants. Brain Sciences. 2023; 13(2):321. https://doi.org/10.3390/brainsci13020321
- Patil AU, Lin C, Lee SH, Huang HW, Wu SC, Madathil D, Huang CM. (2023) Review of EEG-based neurofeedback as a therapeutic intervention to treat depression. Psychiatry Res Neuroimaging. 329:111591. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/36682174/
- Patil, A.U., Madathil, D., Fan, Y.-T., Tzeng, O.J.L., Huang, C.-M., Huang, H.-W. Neurofeedback for the Education of Children with ADHD and Specific Learning Disorders: A Review. Brain Sci., (12) 1238, 2022. https://doi.org/10.3390/brainsci12091238
- Kulkarni, P. and Madathil, D. Fully automatic segmentation of LV from echocardiography images and calculation of ejection fraction using deep learning. Int J Biomed Eng Technol., 40 (3), 2022. https://doi.org/10.1504/IJBET.2022.126495
- Madathil, D. and Chidambaram, R. In-silico analysis of bioactive compounds extracted from seaweed Amphiroa anceps on the pathogenicity of bacteria. Indian J. Geo-Mar. Sci., 51 (5), 2022. http://op.niscpr.res.in/index.php/IJMS/article/view/65560/465481269
- Kulkarni, P., and Madathil, D. Echocardiography image segmentation using semi-automatic numerical optimisation method based on wavelet decomposition thresholding. Int. J. Imaging Syst. Technol., 31(4), 2021. https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1002/ima.22631
- Patil A.U., Madathil, D., and Huang, C. M. Age-related and individual variations in altered prefrontal and cerebellar connectivity associated with the tendency of developing internet addiction, Human Brain Mapping, 2021.
- Patil A.U., Madathil, D., and Huang, C. M. Healthy aging alters the functional connectivity of creative cognition in the default mode network and cerebellar network, Frontiers in Aging Neuroscience, 2021.
- Patil, A.U., Ghate, S., Madathil, D., Tzeng, O.J.L., Huang, H.W. and Huang, C.M. Static and dynamic functional connectivity supports the configuration of brain networks associated with creative cognition, Scientific Reports, 11(1), 165, 2021.
- Ramesan, R. and Madathil, D. Modeling of radiation source using an equivalent dipole moment model, Prog. Electromagn. Res. B., 89, 157-175, 2020.
- Kulkarni, P. and Madathil, D. Adaptive thresholding method for speckle reduction of Echocardiographic images, IETE Journal of Research, 2019.
- Ajay, H., Zakir, A., Patil, A., and Madathil, D. Power generation using diaphragm movement for pacemaker, ARPN J. Eng. Appl. Sci., 14(3), 2019.
- Priyanka, G., Pranitha, N., Madathil, D., and Vidhya, S. A non-invasive tongue controlled wireless assistive device for quadriplegics, Biomedical Research (India), 29(8), 2018.
- Kulkarni, M.P. and Madathil, D. A review of echocardiographic image segmentation techniques for left ventricular study, ARPN J. Eng. Appl. Sci., 13(10), 2018.
- RamTeja, J.A., Rayaprolu, R., and Madathil, D. Segmentation using convolutional neural networks of brain tumors in MRI images, International Research Journal in Advanced Engineering and Technology, 4 (6), 2018.
- Kulkarni, P. and Madathil, D. A review on echocardiographic image speckle reduction filters, Biomedical Research (India), 29(12), 2018.
- Pandey, S., Shilumbu, J., Patil, A. and Madathil, D. Automatic resistance of a rehabilitation bicycle using EMG signals. ARPN J. Eng. Appl. Sci., 13(23), 2018.
- Fatima, S.S. and Madathil, D. Detection and imaging of ground targets based on new approaches in radar imaging implementation in SOC technology, Int. J. Eng. Technol. (UAE), 7(4), 2018.
- Muthukumar, A., Madathil, D., and Antonisamy. Urinary toxicity in high risk prostate cancer patients treated with whole pelvis intensity modulated radiotherapy (Wp-Imrt) with cone beam Ct (Cbct) for image guidance. J Cancer Res Ther., 13, 2017.
- Ghatak, B., Gaur, A., Chourey, S., Ray, S.S., Sangeetha, D., Madathil, D., Brijesh Nair, A. N. and Sivakumar, A., A study on the heavy metal accumulation in water, soil and vegetable samples in industrial belt of Vellore district, Pollution Research, 36(3), 2017.
- Rajam, C., Rahul, P., Pranay, P., and Madathil, D., Phytochemical screening, antibacterial activity and in silico analysis of bioactive compounds of Mimosa pudica and Datura stramonium, Int. J. Pharma Bio Sci., Special Issue on Healthcare Technology and Management, 2016.
- Ghatak, B. and Madathil, D. Approaches to reduce the menace of heavy metal accumulation in soil and water: A Review, Int. J. Pharma Bio Sci., 7(3), 2016.
- Madathil, D. and Rajendran N. Assessment of antibiofilm activity of extracts from selected biological sources, J. Pure Appl. Microbiol., 9(1), 2015.
- Madathil, D. and Rajendran N., Characterization of antibacterial compounds from plants by FTIR and GC-MS analyses, J. Pure Appl. Microbiol., Special Edition, 2015.
- Madathil, D., Rajam, C., and Rajendran N. In silico analysis of Mytilus galloprovincialis proximal thread matrix protein with synthetic and phyto inhibitors, Int. J. Pharm. Sci. Rev. Res., 32(1), 2015.
- Judith, J.V., Revathy, R., Habeeba, V., Poddar, M., Brijesh Nair, A.N., Shanthakumar, S., Madathil, D., Bhagat, P.R., and Ramanan, A. Mapping drinking water quality in water distribution system to health effects: A case study, Pollution Research, 33(4), 2014.
- Shiju, T.M., Madathil, D., and Pragasam, V. An alarming prevalence of diabetes and its associated risk factors among college going Indian adults: A retrospective study, Int J Med Sci Public Health. 2(3), 2013.
- Prachi, Gautam. P., Madathil, D., and Brijesh Nair A.N., Nanotechnology in waste water treatment: A review, Int. J. Chemtech Res., 5(5), 2013.
- Madathil, D., and Rajendran N., Prevention and inhibition of environmental biofilms: Future perspectives, Int. J. Pharma Bio Sci., 4(3), 2013.
- Sunil Eapen Mammen and Madathil, D., A systems approach to designing a graphical interface in eHealth, International Journal of Computing Academic Research, 2(3), 2013.
- Gautam, P., Suniti, S., Prachi, Kumari, A., Madathil, D., and Brijesh Nair, A.N. A review on recent advances in biosensors for detection of water contamination, Agris On-line Pap. Econ. Inform., 2(3), 2012.
- Patil, A.U., Madathil, D., Tzeng, O.J.L., Huang, H.W. and Huang, C.M. Effects of posterior-anterior shift in the aging brain on creativity: A combined ICA and resting-state fMRI study, 27th Annual meeting of Cognitive Neuroscience Society, CNS, 124, 2020.
- Patil, A.U., Madathil, D., Tzeng, O.J.L., Huang, H.W. and Huang, C.M. Dynamic interaction of functional brain connectivity in convergent and divergent thinking. Taiwan Society of Cognitive Neuroscience Annual Meeting, 2019.
- Patil, A.U., Madathil, D., Tseng, D.J., Hung, D.L., Tzeng, O.J.L., Huang, H.W. Brain functional connectivity of creativity: Psychophysiological interaction of convergent and divergent thinking, 26th Annual meeting of Cognitive Neuroscience Society, CNS, 138, 2019.
- Srinivasan, S. and Madathil, D. 3-dimensional computational study of blood flow in pathophysiologically affected arteries simulated in OpenFOAM, IEEE 8th Cairo International Biomedical Engineering Conference, CIBEC, 35-38, 2017.
- Mishra, A., Krishna, A. and Madathil, D. An innovative and cost effective lower extremity blood circulation enhancer, IEEE International Conference on Signal and Image Processing Applications, ICSIPA, 191-194, 2017. https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/8120604
- Apoorva, S., Krishnan, J. and Madathil, D. A novel approach on pneumatic compression therapy for deep vein thrombosis, IEEE International Conference on Embedded Systems, ICES, 281-286, 2014. https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/6953175
- Gaur, A., Chourey, S., Madathil, D., and Brijesh Nair, A.N. Performance evaluation of Kolar drinking water treatment plant of Bhopal city, International Conference of Euro Asia Civil Engineering Forum, EACEF, 7-12, 2013.
- Adithan, M., Johnson. S.K., Brijesh Nair and Madathil, D., Using multiple intelligence theory as an innovative tool to enhance learning in higher education, 33rd Annual ISPA International Conference, 2011.
- Singh, S., Gautam, P., Prachi, Kumari, A., and Madathil, D. Recent advances in biosensors for detection of water contamination: A review”, International Conference on Sustainable Water Resource Management and Treatment Technologies, NEERI, 2011.
- Madathil, D., Vimla Patel and Shahram Partovi. Cognitive evaluation of health care technology – Is the risk worth taking? TGen Scientific Retreat, 2008.
- Madathil, D., and Priya, R. Online measuring system to support heart valve surgery, National Conference on Biomedical Engineering, Bio Medical Engineering Society of India, BMESI, GITAMS, 2004.
- Madathil, D., and Kottidi, D. Design and analysis of filters for medical imaging, BIT FUTURA-2K2, 2002. (Best Paper Award)
- Patil, A.U., Dube, A., Jain, R. K., Jindal, G.D., and Madathil, D. Classification and comparative analysis of control and migraine subjects using EEG signals, Advances in Intelligent Systems and Computing, 31-39, 2019, Springer.
- Sudhakaran, S.L., Madathil, D., Arumugam, M., and Sundararajan, V. Drug development for Hepatitis C Virus infection: Machine Learning Applications, Global Virology III: Virology in the 21st Century, 117-129, 2019, Springer.
- Nageswaran, S., S. Vidhya, and Madathil, D. Segmentation and clinical outcome prediction in Brain Lesions, Machine Learning and IoT: A Biological Perspective, 181- 191, 2018, Taylor & Francis.