Dr. Bhasker Malu
Assistant Professor, Assistant Dean ( Academics Affairs)
B.A. (Fergusson College, Pune);
Ph.D. CHRIST (Deemed to be University)
Bhasker Malu is an Assistant Professor at the Jindal Institute of Behavioral Sciences (JIBS) at O.P. Jindal Global University. He has completed his PhD in Psychology from CHRIST (Deemed to be University), Bangalore. His PhD work focused on understanding the bi-directionality of race-based discrimination in India, specifically within the northeastern region. He continues to hold an interest in social psychological phenomenon based on identity, migration, and politics. He is also interested in areas of sports psychology, and the open science movement.
He has previously worked as an Assistant Professor at CHRIST (Deemed to be University) and Salesian College. He has taught courses on Social Psychology, Lifespan Development, Quantitative Research Methods, Abnormal Psychology, and Psychological Experiments at the master’s and undergraduate levels. He is also a TEDx speaker. He has worked in the corporate sector as a senior consultant for UX research at Ernst & Young.
He has published research articles in social psychology looking at discrimination of minority groups in northeast India. Previously, he has worked in the educational psychology domain focusing on understanding motivation and its impact on student engagement and academic performance. He has also developed an emotional recognition software based on the Indian population. Currently he has separate projects running on racial discrimination, populism, afternoon slump and performance, and the open science movement. Apart from research work he runs the OneStopPsychology website that provides free educational material for exam prep to students and has built three android apps (One Stop Psychology) and written two books for psychology exam preparation – Summarizing Psychology and NTA UGC/JRF Psychology Exam Study Guide. He has also written a novel called Homeward Bound based on his boarding school experience.
Malu, B., Kareepadath Rajan, S., Jindal, N. et al. Discrimination Experiences of Old Settlers in Sikkim: A Qualitative Exploration. Psychol Stud (2023). https://doi.org/10.1007/s12646-023-00743-5
- Terry, J., Ross, R. M., Nagy, T., Salgado, M., Garrido-Vásquez, P., Sarfo, J. O., Cooper, S., Buttner, A. C., Lima, T. J. S., Öztürk, I˙., Akay, N., Santos, F. H., Artemenko, C., Copping, L. T., Elsherif, M. M., Milovanović, I., Cribbie, R. A., Drushlyak, M. G., Swainston, K., Shou, Y., Leongómez, J. D., Palena, N., Abidin, F. A., Reyes-Rodríguez, M. F., He, Y., Abraham, J., Vatakis, A., Jankowsky, K., Schmidt, K., S. N. L., Grimm, E., González, D., Schmid, P., Ferreira, R. A., Rozgonjuk, D., Özhan, N., O’Connor, P. A., Zsido, A. N., Stiglic, G., Rhodes, D., Rodríguez, C., Ropovik, I., Enea, V., Nurwanti, R., Estudillo, A. J., Beribisky, N., Himawan, K. K., Geven, L. M., van Hoogmoed, A. H., Bret, A., Chapman, J. E., Alter, U., Flack, Z. M., Hanna, D., Soltanlou, M., Banik, G., Adamkovič, M., van der Ven, S. H. G., Mosbacher, J. A., Şen, H. H., Anderson, J. R., Batashvili, M., de Groot, K., Parker, M. O., Helmy, M., Ostroha, M. M., Gilligan-Lee, K. A., Egara, F. O., Barwood, M. J., Thomas, K., McMahon, G., Griffin, S. M., Nuerk, H.-C., Counsell, A., Lindemann, O., Van Rooy, D., Wege, T. E., Lewis, J. E., Aczel, B., Monaghan, C., Al-Hoorie, A. H., Huber, J. F., Yapan, S., Garrido Vásquez, M. E., Callea, A., Ergiyen, T., Clay, J. M., Mertens, G., Topçu, F., Tutlu, M. G., Täht, K., Mikkor, K., Caso, L., Karner, A., Storm, M. M. C., Daroczy, G., Zein, R. A., Greco, A., Buchanan, E. M., Schmid, K., Hunt, T. E., De keersmaecker, J., Branney, P. E., Randell, J., Clark, O. J., Steltenpohl, C. N., Malu, B., Tekeş, B., Ramis, T., Agrigoroaei, S., Badcock, N. A., McAloney-Kocaman, K., Semenikhina, O. V., Graf, E. W., Lea, C., Ogba, K. T. U., Guppy, F. M., Warhurst, A. C., Lindsay, S., Al Khateeb, A., Scharnowski, F., de Kwaadsteniet, L., Francis, K. B., Lecompte, M., Webster, L. A. D., Morsanyi, K., Forwood, S. E., Walters, E. R., Tip, L. K., Wagge, J. R., Lai, H. Y., Crossland, D. S., Darda, K. M., Flack, T. R., Leviston, Z., Brolly, M., Hills, S. P., Collins, E., Roberts, A. J., Cheung, W.-Y., Leonard, S., Verschuere, B., Stanley, S. K., XenidouDervou, I., Ghasemi, O., Liew, T., Ansari, D., Guilaran, J., Penny, S. G., Bahnmueller, J., Hand, C. J., Rahajeng, U. W., Peterburg, D., Takacs, Z. K., Platow, M. J., & Field, A. P. (2023). Data from an International MultiCentre Study of Statistics and Mathematics Anxieties and Related Variables in University Students (the SMARVUS Dataset). Journal of Open Psychology Data, 11: 8, pp. 1–25. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5334/jopd.80
- Malu, B., Rajan, S., Jindal, N., Thakur, A., & Raghuram, T. (2022). Perceived Discrimination of Old Settlers in Sikkim. Changing Societies & Personalities, 6(3), 677–691.
- Kohli, B., Malu, B., Janarthanan, J. et al. Hook-up culture among young Indian adults in Indian metropolitan cities. Sexuality & Culture (2022). https://doi.org/10.1007/s12119-022-09987-1
- Rajan Menon, K., Malu, B. & Sinha, C. (2020) Development and Validation of Emotion Recognition Software in the Indian Population. Psychological Studies. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12646-020-00574-8
- Malu, B., & Reddy, J. (2020). Mediating Role of Intrinsic motivation: Needs Satisfaction and Student Engagement of Undergraduate Students. Journal of the Indian Academy of Applied Psychology, 46(2), 176-182
- Malu, B., & Reddy, K. J., (2016). Basic Psychological Needs Satisfaction, Academic Performance: Mediating Role of Motivation. International Education and Research Journal, 2(4), 75-78. doi:10.15826/csp.2022.6.3.19