Psychiatric rehabilitation in mental health establishments, long-term care of persons with psychiatric disabilities, community-based rehabilitation, reasonable accommodations in educational settings for persons with mental health challenges
Dr. Amrita Roy
Assistant Professor, Jindal Institute of Behavioral Sciences
Member Secretary (Disability Support Committee)
O.P. Jindal Global University, Sonipat, Haryana, India
B.Sc. (Baba Farid University of Health Sciences);
M.B.A. (Sikkim Manipal University) (Distance Learning);
M.Sc., Ph.D. (National Institute of Mental Health & Neuro Sciences)
Dr. Amrita Roy is an Assistant Professor at Jindal Institute of Behavioral Sciences (JIBS) and Member Secretary of Disability Support Committee at O. P. Jindal Global University. She completed her doctoral study in mental health rehabilitation, focused on work programs for persons with mental illness and intellectual developmental disabilities. She actively worked with the rehabilitation team to implement sustainable income-generation work programs for clients attending psychiatric rehabilitation services at the National Institute of Mental Health & Neurosciences (NIMHANS). She was awarded the Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) – Junior Research Fellowship in 2017 and Senior Research fellowship in 2019.
Dr. Roy’s research is centered on psychiatric rehabilitation of persons with mental health challenges. She has published several peer-reviewed journal articles and presented at national and international conferences. She won the J K Trivedi award for her doctoral research paper at the National Conference of the Indian Association of Social Psychiatry in 2021. She is currently working on appraising the implications of mental health-related legislations on psychiatric rehabilitation in collaboration with the faculty of psychiatric rehabilitation services, NIMHANS.
During her doctoral work, she was involved in clinical teachings in multi-disciplinary team settings involving professionals from the field of psychiatry, psychiatric social work, clinical psychology, psychiatric nursing, and other staff members of the rehabilitation team. At JGU, she offers cross electives on “Introduction to Rehabilitation Counselling” and “Community-based mental health – Interventions & Legislations”. She is actively working with academic deans in developing course modules and curriculum requirements for the two upcoming courses (August 2023) approved by the ‘Rehabilitation Council of India (RCI)’ – “M.Sc. in Psychosocial Rehabilitation” and “Masters in Rehabilitation Science”.
- Roy, A & Sivakumar, T (2022). Income Generation Programs for Patients at Psychiatric Rehabilitation Centers. Indian Journal of Behavioral Sciences, 25, 60-68.
- Roy, A., Sivakumar, T., Jayarajan, D (2022). Impact and facilitators of a psychiatric rehabilitation daycare work program: A qualitative study. Indian Journal of Social Psychiatry, 38, 21-25.
- Roy, A., Jayarajan, D., & Sivakumar, T. (2022). Incentives for Involvement in Income Generation Programs: Pragmatic Mechanisms Used by Indian Mental Health Rehabilitation Centers. Indian Journal of Psychological Medicine, 44 (2), 192-194.
- Roy, A., Jayarajan, D., & Sivakumar, T. (2022). Income generation programs for persons with mental health challenges: Practices from 13 Indian mental health rehabilitation centers. Indian Journal of Psychological Medicine, 44 (2), 160-166.
- Jagannathan, A., Joseph, M., Achukatla, S., Meera, J., Roy, A., Jothibalan, A., & Jayarajan, D. (2022). Recreation for Psychosocial Rehabilitation of Clients with Mental Health Disorders: A Retrospective Review. Journal of Psychosocial Rehabilitation and Mental Health, 9, 329–333.
- Sivakumar, T., Roy, A., Reddy, K. S., Angothu, H., Jagannathan, A., Muliyala, K. P., … & Kumar, D. (2021). Psychiatric rehabilitation in Indian general hospital psychiatry unit settings. Indian Journal of Social Psychiatry, 37(4), 352-359.
- Roy, A., Sivakumar, T., Jayarajan, D., Maithreyi, N. B., Balasubramanian, M., Kalyanasundaram, S., & Thirthalli, J. (2019). Eco-friendly holi colors: hospital-based ‘income generation activity’ for persons with mental health challenges at a quaternary mental health care facility in India. Journal of Psychosocial Rehabilitation and Mental Health, 6(2), 217-225.
- Roy, A., Govindan, R., & Muralidharan, K. (2018). The impact of an add-on video-assisted structured aerobic exercise module on mood and somatic symptoms among women with depressive disorders: Study from a tertiary care centre in India. Asian Journal of Psychiatry, 32, 118-122.
- Roy, A & Sivakumar, T (2022). Long term care for chronic mental illness. In Chadda, R. K., Sharan, P., Sood, M., & Deb, K. S. (Eds.). Mental health at crossroads – challenges and solutions (1st ed.). White Falcon Publishing, India. ISBN 978-1-63640-731-9